History of wood

One of the roof structures assembled from glulam beams dating back to ancient times in situated in Southampton, the Great Britain; it was built in 1870. It serves as a conference hall of the King Edward University. Other glulam beam constructions dating back to the 19th century are e.g. in the surroundings of the town Liverpool – St Luke´s Church and St Helen´s Church.

The first industrial, certified use of glulam beams took place in the German Weimar in 1872 where Otto Hetzer built a carpentry workshop and a steam saw mill. At the beginning of 1892 he prepared several standards concerning wood constructions, for example the certificate no. DRP 197773 that includes glulam beams too. According to the foregoing standard, every individual element produced from glulam beams has to contain at least 3 lamellas and more that after their pressing they represent a finished constructional element. At its production prime in 1917, the Hetzer´s workshop employed more than 300 persons.

In 1909 Swiss consultants, engineers Terner and Chopard purchased a licence to use the Hetzer´s certificate. Doing that, they managed to design glulam beams as constructional elements in several projects. These projects include also the building of the Institute of Hygiene in Zürich from 1911. At present, it serves as the main university building, with a visible, remarkable domed, bell-shaped roof.

The technology became well-known in the Southern America in 1934 when Max Hanish Sr. who cooperated with Hetzer at the turn of the century set up in the town Peshtigo, Wisconsine, a company engaged in the production of glulam components from wood. The building of the research laboratory USDA Forest Products Laboratory in the town Madison, Wisconsine, was the first building with a wooden construction manufactured from glulam beams. The construction was erected in 1934 and functions well until now. The significant step in the development of the production was the introduction of waterproof glue based on phenol resorcinol in 1942. This development enabled the building-in of elements in the exterior without any climatic conditions having unfavourable effects on the quality of a construction manufactured from glulam beams. The first certificate of the American production of glulam components was known as the trade standard no. CS253-63 published by the Ministry of Economy in 1963. The standard ANSI/ATIC no. A190.1-02 is the latest certificate, being in force since 2002.

For the purpose of organizing the Winter Olympic Games in 2010, the winter stadium Richmond Olympic Oval was built in the town Vancouver, having a wooden roof structure and the largest built-in components from glulam bond timbers. More than 2,400 cubic meters of timber of the conifer Douglas with yew-like leaves was used for the production of glulam components. In total, 34 pieces of cedar columns support the roof structure at water checks. The Parisian museum Centre Pompidou-Metz was built from 16 km long glulam beams. This building is 90 m in width and takes 8,000 square meters. The roof structure motive imitates the shape of a cane-woven hat.

Lepené lamelové drevo BSH má široké použitie a vyrába sa modernou technológiou. Lepené lamelové drevo BSH je hranol, ktorý môže mať od hranolov z reziva veľmi odlišné prierezové a dĺžkové rozmery, môže byť rovný, oblúkový aj viac krát zaoblený. Neobyčajné prierezové a dĺžkové rozmery je možné dosiahnuť šírkovým a dĺžkovým napájaním.

LATTI-EXTRA spol. s r.o.
Hadovská cesta č.5
945 01 Komárno
Slovak Republic

Tel.: +421 35 771 3006
Fax.: +421 35 771 3006
E-mail: info@latti-extra.sk
Partners